For many product types, capacitive touch sensors have become a popular alternative to traditional interfaces such as membrane switches, elastomer keypads, and capacitive touch screen / color display combinations. There are many industries that take advantage of their benefits. Automotive, Appliance Medical, and Industrial Instrumentation have been rapidly adopting capacitive touch technology.
Advantages over traditional interfaces include:
- Cap-touch interfaces can be incorporated into products with curved surfaces allowing for greater design flexibility.
- No moving parts allows for increased durability and reduces the number of components, thus lowering overall costs.
- Provides a smooth, sleek appearance without raised surfaces or button openings allowing for ease of cleaning and sealed designs.
- Can be complete plug-and-play interface or simply a graphic bonded to a cap-touch circuit that interfaces with the microcontroller.
- Lighting effects can easily be integrated into designs through printed clear conductors and Light Guide Film (LGF) technology.
- Can be integrated into In-Mold Electronic applications (IME).
Besides Human Machine Interface applications, capacitive touch circuits can be used for:
- Interactive toys, posters, product packaging, and point-of-sale displays and demonstrators
- Sensors for applications including fluid level detection, object proximity / detection, and inventory control.
Contact BTI to see how Capacitive Touch Interfaces and Circuity can be integrated into your products.