For many product types, capacitive touch switches have become a popular alternative to traditional interfaces such as membrane switches, elastomer keypads, and capacitive touch screen / color display combinations. Industries including Automotive, Appliance Medical, and Industrial Instrumentation have been rapidly adopting capacitive touch technology.
Advantages over traditional interfaces include:
- Cap-touch interfaces can be incorporated into products with curved surfaces allowing for greater design flexibility.
- No moving parts allows for increased durability and reduces the number of components, thus lowering overall costs.
- Provides a smooth, sleek appearance without raised surfaces or button openings allowing for ease of cleaning and sealed designs.
- Can be complete plug-and-play interface or simply a graphic bonded to a cap-touch circuit that interfaces with the microcontroller.
- Lighting effects can easily be integrated into designs through printed clear conductors and Light Guide Film (LGF) technology.
- Can be integrated into In-Mold Electronic applications (IME).
Besides Human Machine Interface applications, capacitive touch circuits can be used for:
- Interactive toys, posters, product packaging, and point-of-sale displays and demonstrators
- Sensors for applications including fluid level detection, object proximity / detection, and inventory control.
Contact BTI to see how Capacitive Touch Interfaces and Circuity can be integrated into your products.